Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sydney Day 4/Day 5

Sarah, Amy, Alex, Roger, and I attended Matt's Batista/Bar training in the morning.  He was running this course for those of us who want to get a job in the service industry.  He taught us how to make various coffee and bar drinks.  Australians are very particular about their coffee, so it was good information for me.  I decided to pay the $75.00 for the RSA certification course so I can serve alcohol.  Which was a good decision -- fast forward to today: I have two job offers!  They are both literally two blocks away from where I live, so that will be really convenient.  One is at a restaurant called Moo Moo; it is a really upscale and is the type of restaurant people go to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays, engagements, etc.  Or if you're extremely wealthy.  I had a trial there, and everyone seems nice! But it seems like a stressful place to work - the type of place (similar to Canoe Bay) where everything has to be done perfectly in a particular way.  The other place is called Lil Sister.  It's more of a cocktail lounge than a restaurant, and then they have simple finger food.


The main reason I need a job is so I have money to travel and so adventure sports while I'm here.  (Minimum wage is so high here; I'd start out at $18.00 per hour!)  Also, it's a good way to meet Australians - Russ and Matt said it can be difficult get to know Australians and really experience Aussie culture.  They said one of the best ways to do that would be to work with them.  I will make my decision on which job to take depending upon which restaurant is more flexible about work hours.  I need at least one whole weekend off per month to travel, so I'm hoping one of them will be okay with that!


Left to right: Matt, me, Sarah, Russ
Sat afternoon, we had three hours of orientation sessions.  Afterwards, we all got dressed up for a harbor cruise!  We were served a three-course meal, and it lasted about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. The views of the skyline, harbor bridge, and opera house were amazing!  Afterwards, Sarah and I wondered around through the opening night of the Sydney festival.


Harbor cruise.


From left to right:  Alex, me, Sarah, Caitlin, Amy, Andrea


Me and Scott
Opera house!













The next morning we had to get up around 7:00 to head to the airport.  Sydney seemed like an awesome city, and I wish we would have had more time to explore it.  But, I guess that's good because it leaves reason to go back!  It was nice staying in the World Tower because no matter where we were, we could always look up and figure out which direction to walk in to get home. :)

We flew into Brisbane (where all the flooding is now!) and then had about an hour drive to Gold Coast.  The Meriton apartments are awesome!! Here is the website so you can see where I'm living:


http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/gold-coast/


They are the buildings to the left in the picture!
View from our balcony!


We have a weekly cleaning service on Saturdays - they clean our apartment, put on new bedding, refill laundry and dish detergent, toilet paper, and bring fresh towels.  I don't deserve to live like this, but I'm so excited!! :) There is an indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub, sauna, and exercise room.  We were also lucky to have a corner room, which are quite larger than the other rooms!  What more could I ask for?!

After flipping a coin, Sarah and I got the master bed and bathroom! (Heads always wins.)  I like Sarah a lot, and she is going to be a great roommate!

2 comments:

  1. Those apartments look amazing (and the cleaning service--oh wow) and it's sure lucky you and Sarah ended up with the master bed and bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you´r really lucky! no comparison to the herman kragsvei rooms haha. how big is your appartment ... and the master bed and bathroom? sounds so nice ... I´m sooo happy for you :-). and I have to say that I´m a bit jealous, because you don´t have to do anything there and can use your time for traveling and other stuff. but you definetly have deserved it. btw: congrats to your job offers and good luck for your decision! I´ve worked as a waitress/bartender a few times and I know it´s always stressful. so you should base your decision on salary, working hours or on the people you work with ... Miss you, Patricia

    ReplyDelete